Saturday 16 November 2019

15. Modern Studies

I quite recently came across a remix album by Tommy Perman entitled Emergent Slow Arcs, which is an aural resculpting of Welcome Strangers (2018), the second long playing release by Scottish band, Modern Studies. I was very taken with the Perman album and wondered what the band sounded like under normal circumstances. A brief piece of research led me to their debut LP (as we used to say), Swell To Great (2016) and it really is. This is a great recording that sort of sounds a bit like Low making a new soundtrack for The Wicker Man, if you know what I think I might mean. It's been spinning here at Rickety Rackety Towers pretty much non-stop in the last day or so. Below is 'Dive-bombing' from said debut.

3 comments:

  1. I was immediately intrigued by your description "...a bit like Low making a new soundtrack for The Wicker Man..." and I think I do know what you think you mean! I rather like this for the way it doesn't quite do what you expect either. And enjoyed the accompanying film!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure 'Dive-bombing' best represents the sound I was alluding to but it's great anyway. Glad you liked it, C, and thanks for popping over and commenting.

      Delete
    2. It's just lovely to see you back, RR.

      Delete

18. Lankum, Fiddlers Club, Bristol 18.11.19

Irish folk vagabonds, Lankum, who are leading a stunning revivification of music in Dublin, popped into Bristol last night as part of their ...